Scopri le meraviglie e resta aggiornato sugli eventi
Piazza del Campo is one of the most beautiful squares in the world, it is the heart of Siena and the Sienese. It is so called because it was once a green space intended to host markets and fairs. It has the shape of a shell divided into 9 sectors in memory of the Nine Lords who ruled the city from 1287 to 1355. The brick paving arranged in a "knife" dates back to 1347 and covers an irregular space that goes downwards. The external part of the square is made of sandstone and covered with tuff during the Palio. square The palaces surrounding the square were built following a rule - one of the first urban provisions - established since 1297, which required compliance with precise aesthetic criteria, prohibiting balconies in favor of mullioned or mullioned windows. In the upper part of the square, northeast of Palazzo Pubblico, there is Fonte Gaia by Tito Sarrocchi of 1868 which proposes an ideal copy of the source sculpted by Jacopo della Quercia between 1409 and 1419. The source is in white marble surrounded by a wrought iron gate. According to tradition, the name Gaia was given to remember the joy of the Sienese when the water gushed out for the first time in the square.